Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Heavy Metal Lives!!

So everyone knows that I was a heavy metal fan in high school (and secretly still am!). Well, Dylan is living proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Example 1: I was taking him to his first day of preschool and we were trying to find a good song to cheer us up before dropping him off. I scanned the 80s station, the 90s station, the 70s rock station, the Nick Kids station, the adult rock station and he said “NO!” (loudly) to all of them. He usually likes the 90s and the adult rock station. Then I tried XM51 – the Mandatory Metallica station. He started rocking out in the backseat, banging his head and said “Yay mama!”.

Example 2: About a week later we were in the car again looking for a good song. I tried a station that was playing a Fergie song. Dylan loudly said "NO!" so I flipped it to the Mandatory Metallica station. They were playing 'Motorbreath' (one of my faves). He was so excited - started rocking out and holding his fist up. Then the song ended and some lame, new Metallica song came on so I switched it back to the pop station. Fergie was still playing. He said "No mama, no!". So I switched it to the Big Hair Band station on XM and they were playing 'Welcome to the Jungle'. He LOVED it! I started singing and he started yelling with me.

Example 3: Bryan was out of town and it had rained all weekend so I had to get a little creative on things to do inside with Dylan. We decided to have a dance party. After going through all the normal songs we dance to I decided to put on 'Girls, Girls, Girls' ... what a winner. Dylan loved it - loved the sound of the motorcycles. He rocked out to the song, jumping on the couches and playing air guitar. Then I got scared and imagined him in a strip club in about 18 years and had to turn it off.

Seriously … he’s so my kid.

3 comments:

lindsay said...

HA! i love this! i can't wait to rock out w/ him sooooon :)

missb12587 said...

Oh, this post makes me miss you! I tried to find "clean" versions of many of our old faves so I don't have to feel too guilty rockin' out to them with the kids in the car. Alec's favorite: Crazy Train. I love the idea of the Big Hair music channel - will have to check out XM radio!

the jaynes family said...

Holly - do you remember our Turbo Lover dance? I can't even remember the type of car you had, but remember it was blue. And we'd get "locked in". Woah. Memories...